Sunday, May 4, 2014

HONEYSUCKLE WAY



About a year ago, I put a contract in on my first home! I'm not married & don't have any kids, so it was a big milestone for me. I remember going several times to look at my empty place, imagining with my sister (& roomie) all the things we could do & how beautiful it would look. It was CLEAN, had new laminate wood flooring, and was painted neutral throughout: a perfect blank canvas. We talked about the furniture we owned or had acquired, where it would go, what we needed to buy still.. I imagined how clean we would keep it. I imagined all the classy dinner parties we'd host. Even though it looked the same as all the others on the outside (just with different cars covering the front porch), I knew ours would be 1000x's more fabulous inside!

Fast forward 10-ish months: this place is looking only slightly better than a college dorm room. Ok, maybe it's a lot better than that.. but GEEZ, furnishing and decorating a home is expensive, and around here, we're livin' paycheck to paycheck! We have to work with what we already have. We're sucky at hanging things levelly. We are the epitome of DIY fails. I think we inherited our non-handiness from our dear ol' dad.

So what I'm saying is: this is an interior decorating blog written by a girl who isn't very good at interior decorating! I DO appreciate beautiful interiors; I SO appreciate them! As a child, my mother subscribed to House Beautiful and Veranda. I took Interior Design in high school. Back then, it all made sense because it was all pretend. Work with an imaginary $10,000 to design my dream bedroom? No problem! But this is the journey & the struggle & the triumphs of a young girl decorating on a budget.

Welcome to Honeysuckle Way!

No comments:

Post a Comment